Saturday, September 11, 2021

Chicken and rice together in one pot (2)

After the success of last week's chicken and rice together in one pot meal, I decided to repeat the recipe, although this time I made a small change in the order of cooking.  Normally when I cook rice, I start with frying the rice in olive oil for a few minutes: this is supposed to bring out the flavour of the rice, although my taste buds can't sense any difference. Adding the rice as the final ingredient as I did last week would skip this, so I decided to add the rice after having fried the onions and tomatoes. I added the chicken stock after I could see the rice turning slightly brown, then I added the vegetables and finally the chicken drumsticks. Adding the rice earlier enables it to be better mixed instead of being stuck on the drumsticks.

On the left is a picture of the onion being fried; in the background is a Pyrex dish holding the drumsticks that I browned previously. They can't really be seen due to the steam coming off them.
Here are the vegetables waiting their turn to enter the pot. In the back are pumpkin chunks and frozen green beans; in the front is a cup of basmati rice and diced tomatoes.

The final product after coming out of the oven.

Incidentally, this is one of those dishes that taste better the day after having been cooked. Any excess moisture is absorbed into the rice along with flavours from the chicken and vegetables, improving the collective taste.





No comments: