Thursday, September 02, 2021

Once again, John Martyn

I am trying to like JM's output, but apart from a handful of songs, I don't understand why people in certain circles rate him so highly. Obviously I'm like the rest who couldn't care about him.

Rummaging around on his website, I found a very interesting paragraph in an interview from 1970: When John and Beverley tried to recreate their “Stormbringer!” sound on stage at the Queen Elizabeth Hall earlier in the year, they failed miserably; and John explained: “I was never happy doing that concert. We only had four days to rehearse with the band, although the other gig at Bristol was strangely successful."

Judging by the date of this interview, 'the other gig at Bristol' almost certainly was the concert that I attended in April 1970 and wrote about here. I see that I didn't write anything about J&BM apart from the fact that they appeared; it seems that they appeared with a group. It would seem that they didn't impress me otherwise I probably would have bought "Stormbringer!" at the time.

No comments: