Monday, September 13, 2021

Potassium levels in food

In Orwell's 1984, At some stage, Oceania is at war with Eurasia; later on Oceania is at war with Eastasia. As a result, history has to be changed to show that Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia. I left the doctor's office feeling something similar: until now, Potassium has been good, now it's bad.

I looked at a site that discusses the amount of potassium in milk, that begins Dairy milk is a good source of potassium. That's not good for me. I then learn that the amount of potassium is in reverse proportion to the amount of fat in the milk: One cup of whole milk provides 322 milligrams of potassium, or 9 percent of the nutrient’s daily value, while the same amount of either reduced-fat or low-fat milk provides about 10 percent of the daily value for potassium. I drink no-lactose 2% fat milk, so this should provide about 350 mg/cup. Yoghurt has higher levels of potassium per 100g product. I know that the site is trying to be pessimistic when it says that rice milk is not a good source of potassium and that a 1-ounce slice of cheddar cheese, for example, has just 27 milligrams of potassium

The site that I need is like this one: nine foods to avoid when your potassium is too high, listing potatoes, bananas, milk, oranges, dried beans and peas, winter squash, sports drinks, spinach and salt substitutes. Again, milk is the problematic food, followed by potatoes (maybe once a week).

I'll buy some 'rice milk' the next time I go shopping and I'll see how I get on. I read somewhere that all the 'milks' are worse for the environment than regular milk.

No comments: