Sunday, November 29, 2020

New favourite drink

A few months ago, I discovered that Israeli dairies are now selling a low lactose version of chocolate milk; this has 49 calories/100 gram, whereas non-flavoured low lactose milk has 50 calories /100 gram. In other words, the addition of the chocolate does not add calories, as opposed to when I make chocolate milk at home, as the chocolate powder is full of calories.

I started off with a modest two bottles (2 litres) a week but I didn't like rationing myself so I started buying 4 bottles a week. My wife has started drinking it occasionally as well as giving some to the grand-daughters so sometimes even 4 bottles doesn't seem enough. There have been weeks when there was no chocolate flavoured milk on the shelves so I bought the equivalent banana flavoured milk. I thought that I would prefer this but the taste is more synthetic and seems sweeter even though it isn't.

On Friday, which is when I make my weekly purchases, I saw that there weren't enough bottles of chocolate milk on the shelf, but there was one of 'nut choco'. In my naivety, I though that this was 'milk' made from nuts (in the same way that there is almond 'milk') with a chocolate flavour, so I was slightly surprised when I saw that it contained 99% 'real' milk. In other words, it's the same chocolate milk, but with an added nutty flavour. As I find the regular chocolate milk slightly lacking (the initial taste is chocolate, but the after-taste seems thin), this addition is very warmly received. It's now become my favourite cold drink; I wonder whether I will be able to buy another bottle during the week. 

As this flavour comes from a different dairy, its calorific content is slightly different (51 calories/100 gram) but not significantly so. Intriguingly, it's also cheaper; the regular chocolate milk is 136% more expensive than regular low lactose milk (13 NIS as opposed to 5.5 NIS), whereas the nut version (different dairy, remember) is about 100% more expensive. Maybe this is for an introductory period only; I'm going to take full advantage of this.

And by the way, I'm losing weight again. There were two weeks with a negligible 100 g loss, but on Friday I measured 500 g less than the week before, choco or no choco. The heavy walking seems to be paying off finally.

No comments: