Saturday, July 20, 2024

M.Res.

I was thinking about qualifications and degrees the other day, noting that I had received no word from 'my' university. So I was pleasantly surprised when I received a letter yesterday, saying "The Research Degrees Committee met recently and confirmed the examiners recommendation to award you a Master of Research (MRes) degree". There was another letter attached to this that leaves me slightly bemused.

I am delighted to see that the Research Degrees Committee confirmed at their July meeting that you have completed the requirements for the Heriot-Watt University MRes degree. You are to be congratulated on an excellent performance and I trust that your life can now return to something approaching normality.

I wonder how much of this letter is formulaic and how much was written specifically. If I am to be congratulated on an excellent performance then couldn't have you gone a bit further and award me a doctorate? After the events of the past nine months, how can anybody's life [in Israel] return to something approaching normality?

A few weeks ago, I said to my wife that eleven/twelve years ago I was ecstatic to be awarded a master's degree; now I am disappointed to be awarded another master's degree. As we say in Hebrew, the bigger the expectation the greater the disappointment. And to think that a year ago I was considering starting a third master's degree.



This day in history:

Blog #
Date
TitleTags
9520/07/2007
1971 was when the music came togetherHabonim, King Crimson, Van der Graaf Generator, Tom Wolfe, Yes, 1971, Dave Evans, Music festivals, Jack Kerouac
26420/07/2010
Alarm clock mp3 playerClock radio
87920/07/2015
Vinyl log 19 - 20 JulyVan der Graaf Generator, Vinyl log, 1972
105320/07/2017
Back to the beginningDBA
124420/07/2019
More on Movie MakerHome movies
164420/07/2023
The end of the country as we knew it is fast approachingIsrael

No comments: