Thursday, July 18, 2024

Back to normal (computer)

I received my repaired computer yesterday morning and I've been working continuously since then with it. Apart from anything else, the larger screen (17 inch?) is a pleasure to work with after the cramped screen of my work mobile. The hard disk (SSD) has been replaced and not only does the new disk directly repair the problem that I had last week, it also fixes several minor problems (like Firefox frequently freezing, more semi-alliteration) that I had ignored but were probably due to problems in reading the disk. 

After all, I'm a software person, not a hardware guy.

One of my first acts was to backup material that has accumulated since March, primarily videos and pictures from our two trips abroad. I discovered that there is no small amount of duplication on the external hard disk, so I devoted several hours to removing the duplicates. The 'videos' directory occupies 148 GB on the computer's hard disk, 'pictures' 19.5 GB and 'songs'/'music' 91.9 GB (although this latter directory on the external disk is probably twice the size), so cleaning up freed a great deal of space on the external disk.



This day in history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
26318/07/2010The in-basket 3 (whole lotta programming)Programming, Delphi, In-basket, Combo box
73518/07/2014Research proposal submissionDBA
96318/07/2016Someone's tiredGrandfather
124218/07/2019Sending data to a procedurePriority tips

No comments: