Saturday, September 23, 2023

Initial sections in the Nutrition course

So far, I've studied the first three sections of the initial module in the Nutrition course, namely

  1. The GI tract and the physiology of nutrient digestion and absorption
  2. Cellular respiration and main metabolic pathways
  3. Fluid and electrolyte balance
At the end of every section, there is a multiple choice questionnaire for self-assessment. I wrote a week ago, "I wonder at what level of detail are the students required to remember", and I've discovered that the answer is "at a very high level". Some of the questions are not strictly multiple choice as they are looking for specific words. As an example of a non-multiple choice question, there is this question from 'cellular respiration': The outer mitochondrial membrane is highly _____ while the inner membrane is _____. My answer was the outer membrane is highly permeable (correct) whereas the inner membrane is semi-permeable (incorrect). The latter answer is impermeable, but there was no way of knowing that this is the answer from the question itself. I suspect that the topic of permeability did not appear in any of the material.

Here's a nasty example of a question from the GI tract section:
Indicate which 3 statements are correct for the gastric phase of digestive regulation by ticking in the box next to it.
  1. The gastric phase describes those stimuli that originate from the stomach.
  2. The gastric phase comprises those stimuli that originate from the head
  3. Gastric phase stimuli include distention of the stomach (which activates stretch receptors)
  4. Neural response: Gastric juice secretion and smooth muscle contraction are promoted.
  5. Gastric secretion and gastric motility are inhibited (enterogastric reflex).
  6. Intestinal secretions, smooth muscle contraction, and bile and pancreatic juice production are promoted.
I chose 1, 4 and 6, whereas the correct answers are 1, 3 and 4. I got two answers correct, but instead of receiving a mark for each correct answer (i.e. 2 marks), I instead received 0. 

My marks were 17/22, 18/22 and 13/13 respectively. I can see the questions and my answers on the website, but I can't figure out how to download them for futher study. I'll have to go over the first section yet again - this is far more complicated than the third.  



This day in history:

Blog # Date Title Tags
12 23/09/2005 James Taylor and the Wikis James Taylor
53 23/09/2006 Stevie Wonder MIDI, Stevie Wonder
284 23/09/2010 Prague log #3 Holiday, Prague, Holocaust
760 23/09/2014 Literature review DBA
1074 23/09/2017 The Jewish New Year/A death in the family/My first video clip Jewish holidays, Cooking, Obituary, Home movies
1172 23/09/2018 Vinyl log #31 - 23 September Vinyl log, 10cc

No comments: