Sunday, July 08, 2012

That's why God made the radio


I've been listening on and off for the past week to the Beach Boys' newest (and probably last) cd with various levels of interest. I've listened closely with headphones, heard it whilst driving in the car and have played it on my computer at work when wrestling with numbers which should know better. My learned conclusion is that the title track is the only BB song one ever need hear (ok, I'll throw in 'God Only Knows' and 'Good Vibrations' as well); it's a perfect encapsulation of all their songs. It features staggering harmonies, intriguing chord progressions (and modulations) and cascading melodies. 

The following track, "Isn't it time", also displays a few classic BB touches, even if it starts off a bit ragged. Of course, there is something seriously strange about listening to a bunch of seventy year olds singing "Isn't it time we danced the night away" (mind you, if sixty is the new forty, then I suppose that seventy is the new fifty). But how does one accept "Isn't it time we went steady again"?? There's even a harmony break straight out of 'Darling', from forty odd years ago. 

After these two tracks, the whole disc subsides into aural wallpaper and it wouldn't be fair to write criticism about them for I admit to not having listened too closely.

No comments: