Monday, May 22, 2023

One month of Erythritol

Since I last wrote on this topic, another two weeks have passed and my body's reactions to erythritol is becoming more regular and less extreme. Primarily, I have reduced my intake somewhat: the first two cups of nettle tea are sweetened with powdered erythritol, and possibly one more cup of black tea is sweetened in the same manner. After that, I use the erythritol tablets that are both sweeter (because of the sucralose) and contain less erythritol. I haven't calculated my daily intake, but it should be something like 20 g/day.

My weight went down from 84.5 kg (07/04/23) to 82.3 kg (12/05/23): a loss of 2 kg in a month. Since then, however, my weight has been slowly increasing and on Friday it was 83.1 kg. Hopefully I can maintain this weight. 

My sleep has been much better, with no need to use sleeping pills after the first few problem nights, although the weekly band practices that finish at 11pm don't help. Yesterday I got up as usual at 5:30 am, after barely six hours of sleep (I found it difficult to fall asleep on Saturday night), but felt fully awake. This morning (or last night), I had eight hours of sleep, falling asleep almost immediately last night, but took some time to awake fully. Normally I'm wide awake as soon as I rise, so this morning was slightly anomalous.

My appetite - or rather, my need to snack - has been modified by the erythritol: I feel that the physical need has been separated from the psychological need, and now I find it easy not to snack. This is very interesting.

Although without connection to erythritol, I seem to have increased the distance I walk every day. Unfortunately, the walking rewards app has recognised this and has increased once again my daily target: it was originally 11,000 steps, then it increased to 11,300 and 11,600. Yesterday I saw that once again the target had increased to 11,900 steps. I've achieved this new target 10 times this month; on one day I walked 11,866 steps so I've really achieved the target 11 times - once every two days. But I doubt that most days I have sufficient spare time in order to walk enough to reach this target. Time will tell.

The results of the blood tests that I undertook a fortnight ago were so-so; my amateur eye sees that certain indicators of kidney problems are slightly high. My potassium level is also increasing. I have yet to hear back from the clinic, meaning that the professional view is that those indicators are not worrying, or possibly a result of my medications.



This day in history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
7722/05/2007Metadata and informationProgramming
71122/05/2014Back to the research proposal DBA
85622/05/2015Venice log 3 - RainingHoliday, Home movies, Venice, Italy
103222/05/2017Puzzle from the GuardianPuzzles
113622/05/2018Remembering the guitarPersonal

No comments: