Sunday, April 09, 2023

Problems with headphones

Five years ago, I wrote For walking around the kibbutz, I have a pair of headphones with a built in player; these are good, the player continues from the last song played which normally is good, but problematic if the 'song' is a complete album. The headphones themselves aren't as good as the Sony ones, which is not surprising; these barely cover the ears and don't fold, so I don't take them on the train.

Something happened to the phones a few weeks ago: the right hand speaker became detached from the arm; I'm not sure exactly how this happened. I tried repairing the damage with a splint and adhesive tape but this was clearly an interim solution. I quickly ordered a new pair of headphones with an internal mp3 player from Ebay.

These arrived about two weeks ago; whilst they look very good, the problems started as soon as I finished charging the player. After extracting the sd card from the old headphones and making some additions (and deletions) to the songs stored within, I inserted it into the new headphones - this was very easy to do. Then I turned the headphones on: the output was in mono but not even centred. I switched the headphones around - no difference. So it was time to write to the person from whom I had purchased them.

I tried a few experiments, like connecting the headphones via a cable to my external mp3 player; no change. The vendor suggested using the headphones with bluetooth, so I copied a few songs to my phone (including "Yours is no disgrace" by Yes, featuring various stereo effects), turned on the bluetooth and listened. Whilst the sound was very clear, Steve Howe's guitar did not alternately sound from left and right phones. The vendor wanted a video (!) of the phones, although for what purpose I cannot fathom (unless he sells many products), as the problem is with the sound.

A few days ago I decided to cut my losses and ordered another set of headphones, at only half the price. Maybe these will work properly.

In the mean time ... I was about to take the dog for a walk about an hour ago when the right hand speaker became detached from the arm! I'm going to try glueing the speaker as the damage seems easier to repair than with the prior set of heaphones. But even so, these headphones are destined for the rubbish bin.

For my walks, I will now use the external mp3 player connected to my very expensive
noise cancelling headphones, although I won't turn this function on.


This day in history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
34809/04/2011dbPrologProgramming, Delphi, SQL, Firebird, Prolog
56709/04/2013Passover hall picturesJewish holidays, Mobile phone
56809/04/2013Mobile phone problem solvedMobile phone
69309/04/2014Switching mentorsDBA
82409/04/2015Trevor Lucas triviaSandy Denny, Fotheringay
94109/04/2016A few quiet places in Sorrento (2016/5)Holiday, Sorrento, Italy
120909/04/2019Shadrach in the furnaceKindle, Robert Silverberg, 1978
130709/04/2020Pesach in the shade of CoronaJewish holidays, Israel, Covid-19

No comments: