Saturday, April 22, 2023

Songbird

Back at the beginning of November, I wrote about writing a new song - or at least, the music for a new song - but that as usual I had no words for it. A week or so later, I had an idea as I was riding my motorcycle to Bet Shemesh; the song would be called 'Songbird', and the lyrics would be something like 'If I were a songbird, I would sing for you all day'. Great start! I entered notes into my mobile phone so I wouldn't forget.

But once I sat down to write, the words simply would not come. I had to fight very hard in order to write a verse, a chorus and half of a second verse. The chorus doesn't really count, as it's basically the line 'I would sing so loud/proud' a few times. Then I was stuck.

During the week I spend my time working for other people. Most of the time I am doing what I like and enjoy, but not always; this week I spent several hours explaining to annoyed/exasperated people why I had changed something in Priority. The change would be for better but they were not convinced. In retrospect, I handled the change badly, which is rather ironic considering the topic of my doctoral research. Anyway, my point is that the only time that I can do things for myself is Friday afternoon and Saturday morning; sometimes the Friday is out, too.

So yesterday afternoon, I had a look at the meagre lyrics that I had written for 'Songbird' ... and wrote the remaining one and a half verses in about fifteen minutes! That's the way it goes. This morning I spent an hour or so recording the vocals (including overdubbed choruses) and maybe two hours mixing. This is a fairly simple song and definitely 'up'; maybe this is my new direction.

Now only one song whose music I worked on in September is awaiting words. 

Ironically, I started reading this morning (after a pointer from Peter Viney) the book "Daisy Jones and the Six", a gripping novel about the whirlwind rise of an iconic [fictional] 1970s rock group and their beautiful lead singer. I'm probably about half way through the book and am very envious of the writing relationship between Billy and the eponymous Daisy, how they come from different backgrounds but manage (after a poor start) to get the best out of each other (aka synergy).

I have to do it all on my own.



This day in history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
12722/04/2008Holiday weekProgramming, Delphi, Cold feet
70222/04/2014More researchDBA
102422/04/2017Jerry Lee Lewis rides againGrandfather

No comments: