Friday, June 10, 2022

Italy 2022: Staying 'at home'

As I wrote early this morning, I had my first ever attack of gout last night; as a result, I barely slept and my toe was very painful. I dragged myself to breakfast, which fortunately is held in a room a few steps away from our room. After breakfast, my wife went to a pharmacy and bought the equivalent of Neurophen. I took a pill and laid down to rest. Then the skies opened and it rained heavily, which was just as well as we weren't going anywhere. After about three hours, the gross pain had disappeared. After another hour I took another pill, and since then the situation has improved, although there is still sometimes pain, especially when walking.

Late in the afternoon I went out to buy some food for tomorrow: we'll miss both lunch and supper, so we'll prepare rolls in advance.

For supper tonight we went to an interesting restaurant, Frulez, which is much closer than appears on the map. Their menu is somewhat different to those of other restaurants and even includes salads! I had the steamed sea bass fillet along with all kinds of vegetables. The inside of the restaurant is also very interesting.

After dinner, we had gelato - melon and banana - to clean the palate. Despite my best efforts, I still have heartburn as a result of the Neurophen.

So that's it: a week in Bari. Today we were supposed to have gone to see the trulli at Alberobello, which funnily enough is considered to be the major attraction of this area. Well, we've seen them on YouTube videos.

No comments: