Saturday, June 18, 2022

Aches and pains: my first swim of the year

It's mid-June, and as always, it's time for the first swim of the year, utilising muscles that have weakened somewhat since last September, the end of last year's swimming season.

First, it was the big toe on my left foot that throbbed a bit: the toe hasn't recovered completely from the gout attack that was only a week ago. With regard to that, I saw our GP on Tuesday, and after we discussed the subject of gout, she decided to start me on the chronic use of Allopurinol, a lowish dose at first. At the end of the month I will be having my comprehensive annual blood tests, so we will be able to see whether two weeks of this drug have managed to lower my uric acid level, which has always been high. She also mentioned that there is normally 3-6 months between gout attacks, and that next time (if there is a next time) I should take Naxin as the primary pain reliever as opposed to Advil or similar, as Naxin better suits my medical profile. I only realised later that she didn't give me a prescription for Naxin; imagine that an attack happens on a Friday afternoon - a few days of pain await me. I shall have to remember this for my next appointment, when we review the results of the blood tests.

Back to swimming: the next ache came when pushing off from the ends of the pool; there's a muscle in the middle of my right thigh that suddenly contracted. This bothered me during my entire time in the pool, but especially at the end of every length. Walking home didn't use this muscle but I felt it again whilst walking up the stairs.

And finally, as expected, my left arm began aching after a few lengths; this always happens the first time, but I expect it to go away shortly.

During June, the pool opens at 8:30 am both on Friday and Saturday, meaning that there will be no Friday swims for a few weeks. I hope that the pool will open at 7:30 am on a Friday, which is much more convenient for me. Also fewer people come at that hour (today the pool was 'packed' - about twelve people swimming at the same time with a few waiting for a spot).

No comments: