Friday, February 16, 2024

The multifunctional guitar effects pedal


I've mentioned this device a few times over the past month or two, which can be purchased from several suppliers under several brand names. I ordered from Temu and it arrived the other day, after inexplicably being held up at the local warehouse for about a week. Their delivery time varies between two and three weeks, seemingly dependent on local problems (another package probably arrived yesterday but I was in Tel Aviv and today the 'post office' is closed so I won't be able to pick it up until Sunday). 

Incidentally, I ordered this device along with curtains for our grand-daughters' rooms. The picture of the curtains misled me: I thought that I was ordering three pairs of curtains when in fact I ordered only three curtains - so I had to order another three. They're still cheap and my wife couldn't find anything comparable here.

Back to the m-vave device. This is tiny: its dimensions are about 16 cm X 5.5 cm X 2 cm, although I suspect that it's slightly larger than the new breed of mini-pedals. The device contains its own battery that supposedly holds enough charge for six hours' use; charging it the first time took about an hour. It's a shame that it doesn't have a power out socket via which I could supply current to the pedal power distributor; one can dream.

As can be seen in the picture, there are several rotary knobs that control the various effects; these are grouped into three types: pre-amp, modulators and output. The pre-amp grouping includes the 'type', 'gain' and 'tone' controls (the first three controls on the right hand side) - one can choose between nine types of pre-amplifier where two are clean, three overdriven and four distortion. The modulator grouping consists of the 'mod' knob (either chorus or phaser), the 'time' knob (the feedback speed of the echoes), the 'fb' knob (the number of echoes), and the 'mix' knob that controls the ratio of dry and wet signals. The final output grouping contains the reverb knob, and the IR cabinet (i.e. an amplifier modeler). There is also a volume control.

One can use the device in 'live mode' where the current settings of the knobs directly affect the output. Similar to this mode is 'edit mode' where one can establish settings for the third mode, 'preset mode'. This latter mode would appear to be the standard mode of operation: the device has three predefined settings of all the controls that are operated by pressing one of the three pedals. These settings are defined in the 'edit mode'.

The device also includes a guitar tuner, although this is somewhat awkward to use and I can't imagine anyone using it in a live setting. One gets an indication of whether a string is flat or sharp, but not by how much the string is flat or sharp.

I've defined one preset for personal use, leaving two of the factory defined presets. All of the presets sound somewhat metallic through my little practice amplifier, although I hope that this is a failing of the amplifier and not of the device. I'll see how well these presets perform in a band setting tomorrow night.

Bottom line: for 183 NIS (maybe $50, including air shipping), this device supplies 'much bang for the buck'.



This day in history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
6416/02/2007Working hard (but seeing the light at the end of the tunnel)Programming, ERP, Cooking, Soundclick
45416/02/2012Solving the unflushed inventory problemERP
100816/02/2017Reviewing someone else's academic workERP
120116/02/2019I can't sleep without CPAPCPAP
158516/02/2023Transferring another interviewDBA, Mobile phone

No comments: