Tuesday, January 30, 2024

For the fourth time in four weeks

With great sadness, once more we went up to the kibbutz graveyard for the fourth funeral in as many weeks. As opposed to all the other visits, when the departed one was the parent of a friend, today was the funeral of a friend, one year older than me. One of her sons is "the other guitarist" in our musical group. Once again, in a sense it was a merciful death, as she had been suffering from cancer for the past 13 years.

Lest I forget, here are the names of all the departed members since October: Avi Hechter, Shachar Tal, Aliza Tibon, Miriam Lapid, Meir Ozinsky, Donnie Davis, Sue Herr, Shirley Isaacs and Racheli Potok.

In previous years when I attended funerals, I used to find myself mentally writing a eulogy for my father while he was still alive. In the years that have passed since his death, I felt myself freed of this obligation. Today I found myself beginning to compose a eulogy for my wife, who I hasten to say, is in no danger whatsoever of dying from any disease. That's what happens when it's someone of my age who dies.



This day in history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
32930/01/2011Sumptuous Sunday 5Cooking, Slow cooker
33030/01/2011MarketingMBA, Marketing
54330/01/2013Notes on 'The Fingertip effect" and ERPERP, DBA
119830/01/2019Yet another mp3 playerMP3
157830/01/2023Thesis status at the end of January - two months before the final submission dateDBA, Mobile phone

No comments: