Friday, January 05, 2024

End of an era

In a sound economic decision, the company for which I work has decided not to renew the insurance policy for my/their motorbike; the premium for compulsory and comprehensive insurance is a staggering 14,000+ NIS! Over the past few years the premiums have been rising due to the number of accidents involving motorcylists, so one can't fault the insurance companies. I only travel between my home and the factory (5 km distance) or to Bet Shemesh (3 km) so the chances of being in an accident are very low. That said, I've had a few close shaves on the way to the factory, mainly due to other drivers ignoring me on roundabouts. As a result of not renewing the insurance, we are to sell the motorbike, leaving me without a means of transport. The company is prepared to pay for taxis between home and factory and train station.

I have to admit that in the past few months I have barely ridden the motorbike anywhere and so theoretically the decision to sell shouldn't make very much difference to me. The only thing that I feel is a loss of independence: before, if I needed to go the factory or make an extra curricular trip to shops in Bet Shemesh, I would just hop on the bike and ride. Finding a parking place in Bet Shemesh for a car is hard, but is a non-issue for a motorbike. 

On Sunday I'll reach out to a taxi company in Bet Shemesh. I have the feeling that this company is simply an office that arranges trips for independent taxi drivers which is not what I am looking for. I need to get to the train station on Thursday morning at 5:30 am - what happens if there is no driver available or prepared to take me? And what about in the afternoon when I return from Tel Aviv? I know what will happen: my wife will drive me in our car and I won't be able to claim the expense (I'll have to come to some agreement with my company about this).

All of this means that I have taken my last motorbike ride, a 'career' that started in 1967 (obviously I wasn't driving then).


Other news: our new grand-daughter is called Romy. At the moment she is in the premature babies ward, not because she is premature (she was born exactly on the predicted date) but because she is having digestive system issues. Whilst writing this paragraph, I have received a WhatsApp message saying that she is being 'released' to her parents today, so the issues appear to have been resolved.

I thought that my rash and itching had disappeared, but that was only wishful thinking. Although the rash has gone, the itching seems to have returned.

Blogger is supposed to send each blog entry by email to me and my subscribers. As I suspected some time ago, these emails are not sent if the entry contains a picture. Yesterday I looked to see whether this situation has been resolved: it seems that other people also suffer from this blog.



This day in history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
66605/01/2014End of year bluesERP
110405/01/2018Business rules in Priority which do not apply to specific users/2Priority tips
145505/01/2022Sandy Denny would have been 75 years old todaySandy Denny
157005/01/2023200 best singers of all timeSandy Denny

No comments: