Thursday, November 03, 2022

Have I found the solution to a cooking problem?

When discussing cooking chicken a few days ago, I wrote today's experiment: adding some pearl barley to soak up some of the excess liquid. I like pearl barley but my wife doesn't, so I've got to find a way of keeping the barley separate but also allowing it free access to the liquid. Well, I think I've found the solution, after examining the goods for sale in three different kitchen goods shops last night in the local shopping centre: translated literally, it's a 'collapsible steamer lily' (שושנת אידוי) which I assume in English is a steamer basket - and lo and behold! That's the correct name and here's an article about its use. My problem was finding the correct name for what I wanted. See here also.

The picture on the left shows how the basket will look when it's placed inside the oven dish: liquid can get in, but the contents can't get out. The middle picture shows how the basket looks when it's open: obviously this is when one puts the contents (e.g. pearl barley) into the basket. The right-hand side picture show the basket on its side, so that its legs can be seen (although not very clearly). I think that the legs would be opened if one wants to steam vegetables in an open saucepan, but not have the vegetables in contact with the liquid. One would put some water in the pan and then the basket: steam will come up from the water and cook the vegetables, but there would be very little leaching.

I won't get a chance to use this until next Friday night, but I'm looking forward to the opportunity. The pearl barley that I cooked with the chicken absorbed all the excess liquid, so it became very tasty after a day or two. Using the steam basket means that the barley will be served in a separate dish: if I want it to taste good after a few days, I will have to add to the saved barley some of the liquid from the chicken.


Note that I used the tip from a few days ago as to how to place pictures side by side, although this time, I've gone one stage further: I figured out how to put some blank space between them. In the HTML code for the picture, there's a command 'style = "padding: 1em 0...."'. Replace the 0 with a number like 10 or 15 and this will define the padding around each picture. I'm unsure as to whether 'px' (pixels) should appear after this number.

No comments: