Friday, November 18, 2022

Fairport news

I've been so busy with my own life in the past few months (and rightly so) that I missed a few items of Fairport news.

First off: Gerry Conway, the drummer since 1998, has announced his retirement: "I never expected to still be playing at 75, my Mum was always asking me when I’d retire! Well, I’m not retiring but looking forward to some new adventures. Thanks Fairport, we had some great times". It appears that Fairport might be returning to the acoustic four piece (i.e. no drums), but also that the great Dave Mattacks will be returning!

Secondly, today was published a book called "Gonna see all my friends - a people's history of Fairport Convention", that is described as a fully authorised history of Fairport Convention as told through over 300 fan memories. This is published as a 384 page limited edition hardback, meaning that it's going to be heavy (man) and that the postage is going to be expensive. I wonder whether I should delay ordering this, so that I can read what others have to say about it, or order straight away. The 'limited edition' phrase worries me, but it doesn't say how many copies will be printed, so 'limited' may mean that there will not be a reprint.

No comments: