Sunday, April 03, 2022

Onion sauce

Approximately every other week, Friday night supper is for my grand-daughters, daughter, wife and me. After some experimentation, we discovered that the best dish for these evenings is simple spaghetti, grated cheese and tuna. For the last few months I've been on a low potassium diet that means that I can't eat tomato sauce, surely an essential part of any spaghetti dish. The Italian in me would be shocked to hear that I eat the spaghetti plain.

Something is definitely missing: between what I can't eat and what I don't like has to lie some form of sauce. After mulling this over for some time, I realised that I can make onion sauce ... except that I don't know how to make onion sauce. So I looked for recipes, most of which included some ingredient that again either I can't eat or I don't like. In the end, I decided on a compromise recipe, as follows.

I diced 3/4 of a middle sized onion and sautéed this in olive oil. When the onion pieces began to caramelise, I added a small amount of finely chopped mushrooms to the frying pan and continued to sauté for another few minutes. Then I added a cup of boiling water in which I had dissolved a teaspoon of chicken soup powder: it seemed like most of the water boiled off immediately. Finally I added a heaped spoonful of flour to the mix: this was a mistake as it was very difficult to prevent the flour from clumping. Eventually I managed to break up most of the lumps. This mixture cooked for another few minutes and then I cut the heat.

The result was quite good although it seemed very salty when I tasted the sauce on its own (I am very sensitive to salt which is one reason why I never add salt to anything that I cook). The sauce also thickened up before it was served, although this isn't necessarily a bad thing. The sauce was a welcome addition to the spaghetti although only my daughter and I partook. If and when I prepare this again, I will have to do something with the flour, like mixing it in advance with the soup powder before adding it to the sauce. I should probably also reduce the amount of flour.


No comments: