Saturday, April 30, 2022

Covid and teeth

After a few days of feeling unwell, my body (and the vaccinations) beat the covid virus. My first day back at work (last Sunday, 24/4) was a little shaky at first, but soon I was feeling back to normal.

Or not. I would suffer pain whenever I drank some cold water or ate something cold (like the blackberries that I eat for breakfast); the pain would be sharp but would disappear almost immediately. I suspected a problem with receding gums but there might also have developed a crack in a tooth filling. On Thursday, I made an appointment to see my dentist the following day (which is now 'yesterday').

First off, the dentist took x-rays of my lower jaw and compared them to the set from my previous check-up which was in January. She said that she couldn't see any problems with the fillings but there might be a crack in the left-most tooth, which she proceeded to correct. Upon hearing that I had just recovered from the covid virus, she suggested that the pain was probably due to hyper-sensitivity brought on by the virus and by the weakening of my body, caused by my fighting the virus. Apart from the special toothpaste that she always recommends (that helps combat receding gums), she suggested a new cream that one applies to the teeth and gums that works very quickly. 

I have an appointment with the dental hygienist on Monday (made three months ago) and I am especially not looking forward to this appointment as the frequent washing of the mouth with cold water is going to approach agony. I am thus very interested in improving the condition of the gums and reducing the sensitivity as quickly as possible. Before going to bed last night, I rubbed some cream onto the teeth as instructed: the sensitivity to cold might have decreased slightly today. There'll be another two evenings to apply the cream before the hygienist, so there is a good chance that it will do its work. Apart from this, the tooth that had been treated continued to hurt all yesterday afternoon and evening; it still hurts if I press down on the tooth with the corresponding tooth from the upper jaw, something that I do whilst eating. As I always say, "teeth - can't live with them, can't live without them".

No comments: