Friday, May 24, 2024

Yet another mp3 player

As I wrote when I came back from Milan, the hole where I attach the lanyard on the top of my mp3 player had broken. I resolved to buy a new player, even though that player is technically fine. Not even two weeks have passed and now I have its younger brother, again from Ruizo. Several improvements have been made in this new player: most notably, there is now a whopping 64 GB internal memory, as opposed to 8 GB, and there is a proper clip, like there used to be on the Sansa clip-on player, so no more need for a lanyard. Of course, this clip can break....

But the real major improvement is the user interface. There are now separate volume controls on the side of the player, so changing the volume won't affect the playing order. The other controls have been simplified as well, but I won't really know this until I start using the player. 

The manual says that the device can show videos and can also display books, but someone would have to be a complete masochist to use this tiny device - the screen is 1.5 inches high and about 1 inch wide  - as an ebook reader. The device can also work as a pedometer but that seems rather pointless as the mobile telephone fulfills that function faithfully.

After charging the device, I extracted the memory card from the old player and inserted it into the new player. I then connected the player to my computer and began the process of copying all the files from the card to the player's internal memory. This should take about two hours, although as I write these words, the device has disconnected itself (several times!) from the computer. I get the feeling that the usb connection is shaky. I am now holding the player in my left hand and typing with my right. Once all the files are copied, I can extract the memory card and put it back in the old player as a backup. Then I'll run the old program that sets the playing order.

In the mean time, I've found the usb cable for the previous mp3 player and this one fits much better, so I'm going to use this instead of the new one. No more dropouts. Two handed typing.



This day in history:

Blog #
Date
TitleTags
7824/05/2007
CollaborationMIDI, Soundclick
122524/05/2019
Delphi (Greece 9)Holiday, Athens, Greece
132024/05/2020
Heatwave no longerWeather

No comments: