Sunday, May 19, 2024

Ossobuco (2)

The second time around cooking osso buco, I had three fairly large cuts but not as thick as last time. As per the recipe, I dredged them in flour then fried lightly for a few minutes, turning the meat over so that it all got cooked. At the same time I cooked the sofrito (celery, carrot and onion) for a few minutes then added half a glass of white wine and some tomato paste (potassium be damned) and finally a cup of soup. When the meat was ready, I placed it at the bottom of the slow cooker, then poured the sofrito onto it, ensuring that there were plenty of vegetables on top of each piece. By moving the pieces around, I managed to fit all of them on the bottom, without any sticking up (think of Tetris). This means that four or five pieces - as might be needed if we have this on a Friday night - are going to be in two layers.

I set the slow cooker on high and cooked for two hours. Then I opened the cooker and turned the meat over, cooking for another two hours. Finally there was an hour on low. The result was very tasty. I think that it might be better to cook for five hours on high to get a really tender result.

The original youtube video that I saw had the chef cutting through the cartilage that surrounds the cut; I probably misheard as he said something like the cuts help keep the flavour inside the meat. To my mind, the cuts would achieve the exact opposite. On the other hand, the cuts make it easier to separate chunks of meat. 

Although the meat is 50% more expensive than chicken, it's not too expensive and in fact cheaper than cooking a stir-fry. 



This day in history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
3719/05/2006Strumming the guitar - stage twoProgramming, Delphi, MIDI
36019/05/2011New mobile phoneMobile phone, Computer
36119/05/2011Mobile computer updateComputer
70919/05/2014Maccabi again, naturallyMaccabi Tel Aviv
85219/05/2015Intermission: how to crop an AVI file (Florence log 4A)Home movies
85319/05/2015Florence log 5 - MonterossoHoliday, Florence, Italy
103119/05/2017In blissful companyNice enough to eat, 1970

No comments: