Friday, December 01, 2023

Restringing the Stagg - again

The musical group will be playing on the first night of Chanuka, 7 Dec, and somehow the songs that we were originally intending to play have been replaced by other, more uplifting, songs. This means that I'm only fingerpicking one song whereas I'm providing rhythm strokes for another three. As a result, I have decided to use the Stagg Tele; apart from anything else, it will also be lighter to hold. Continuing from my thoughts from a few days ago, I went to buy a set of "nines" that should be more gentle with my fingers.

There is a music store in Bet Shemesh, although it's in an area that I don't normally visit. As I was in the town yesterday buying meat, I thought that I would travel another kilometre to visit this store. It's very small but there are several items that I would like to purchase (it's like walking into a bookshop for me). There were about fifteen guitars on display: ten electrics and five acoustics (these were cheap ones). One of the electrics was an Epiphone, possibly of the famous 335 type, but I didn't have my reading glasses with me so I couldn't see the model number. There were guitar leads (no need to have ordered them from another shop and wait several weeks for them to arrive) as well as guitar strings and all manner of other instruments. I asked for a set of "nines", as shown on the left. They cost me a few shekels less than the price that an online seller in Israel was selling, and of course, no delivery charge.

In the evening, I set about restringing the Stagg. I've seen on YouTube videos where guitar techs don't free strings from the tuning pegs then pull them through the body; instead they reduce the tension then cut the strings in the middle. This makes it much easier to extract the strings from the body. Once I had all the strings off, I checked the fingerboard for dirt. I couldn't see any but gave the board a wipe down all the same. When I was last at the dental clinic, I asked for a disused probe: I can use this to scrape dirt off the fingerboard in the future. I then added the new set of strings. Previously I would add one string at a time, pushing it through the body then into the tuning pegs, but the video that I checked yesterday had the tech pushing all six strings through the body first. I don't think this is any easier, but there isn't much difference.

For some reason, the lowest string was pulling the nut to the left of the guitar, and after a moment or two, the nut flew off the guitar. I've never seen this happen before. So my wife glued the nut to where it sits in the guitar neck (she's much better than me at delicate handwork like this) and then I hung the guitar back on the wall to give the glue a chance to set. 

Today I carried on threading the strings through the nut via the string trees and into the machine heads. After threading them (and making sure that the windings are below the excess sticking out), I cut off most of the excess on each string. I then tuned the guitar approximately and now I'm leaving it for a few hours to settle down. I'll retune again in the evening. Apparently nines go out of tune more often than tens. We'll see.


This day in history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
11101/12/2007SleepApnea, Anaemia
65401/12/2013Critical weekDBA
77901/12/2014My army service - part oneIsrael, Personal
136101/12/2020E-hour minus 4DBA
136201/12/2020Viva resultDBA
144401/12/2021My body is like a barometerWeather
155801/12/2022Christine McVie, RIPObituary, Fleetwood Mac

No comments: