Saturday, December 18, 2021

Further thoughts on running Excel from a background thread

As I'm on a thinking roll this morning, I thought that I would document some thoughts that I have about code that I wrote just under a month ago that runs Excel in a background thread. Specifically, I want to address the problem of passing two discrete ranges to Excel, where each range has to have a different format (for example, E:F should be integers and G:H should be floats). At the moment I can pass E:F,G:H (i.e. two ranges) but they will both receive the same format.

It seems that what is needed is to pass a stringlist, where the first string would be something like E:F,i and the second would be G:H,f. In other words, each string would be composed of two parts separated by a comma: first a range then a character indicating what the format should be (i=integer, f=float, of course).

That's a good idea.

No comments: