Thursday, November 04, 2021

Sleeping deeply

I've been continuing my attempts to increase the amount of deep sleep that I get each night by means of listening to 'binaural beats'. 

I wrote a few days ago that "Last night [Friday 30/10] was much better in terms of sleep quality; I also awoke an hour earlier than I intended but still feeling refreshed". That's interesting as apparently I had only 5 minutes of deep sleep that night. I haven't felt any change over the past few weeks, but then I'm a 'morning man' and generally wake with a sharp mind. I often have good ideas whilst walking the dog at 5:45 am.

Since my last blog on the subject, I've been changing the conditions somewhat. I had switched to the 'over the ear' headphones from the swimming mp3 player, but after these kept on falling out, I decided to switch to a headset pair that I found in my spare parts drawer. As opposed to the first two sets of earplugs, these sit outside of the ear; I find that I get better sound quality this way than earplugs that have to be inserted at the correct angle. This headset is quite rigid, meaning that sleeping on my side is not too comfortable. 

I also switched mp3 players: I had written before that the swimming mp3 player is difficult to control. Either it got turned off one night or ran out of battery, but it wasn't working one morning. Despite charging it, I haven't been able to turn it on again. The night after this, I used my mobile phone, but the earphone plug didn't make a good connection. Belatedly I realised that I don't need to keep my 'good' mp3 player reserved for when I travel on the train - as I barely travel on the train these days. The player has built-in memory as well as an SD card, so I cleaned out the built-in memory then transferred my three pieces of binaural beats to the player. I set the player to play from its memory and reduced the volume somewhat. Since then this has been working well, although I must remember to charge it now and then (I woke up in the middle of last night to the sound of silence; I had to find the charging cable and connect it in darkness to re-enable the player).

I also mentioned last time that I had ordered the simplest pair of headphones that I could find. Despite being quoted a delivery date of a few weeks, these arrived two days ago and I was able to use them for the first time last night. Of course, I don't have any data for them yet, but subjectively they were lighter and caused less pain than their predecessors.

And as for readings:

Day minutes
Wednesday, 27/10 19
Thursday, 28/10 33
Friday, 29/10 0
Saturday, 30/10 5
Sunday, 31/10 21
Monday, 01/11 16
Tuesday, 02/11 29

I hope that the improvements of the past few days continue. Tuesday also registered a fairly high number of apneic events (10); I hope that this is a one-off. The problem with reading data from a few days ago is that I don't remember whether there were any unusual events on a given day.

No comments: