Saturday, December 09, 2023

Days of Chanuka

At the entrance to the kibbutz has been erected a large Chanukiya, in memory of Ro'i Rozner, the young kibbutz member who died last year. I wanted to get a picture of this during the period when the 'candles' are lit. Last night was the second night of Chanuka, so two 'candles' are lit. I note that here they are lit from right to left whereas at home we lit from left to right.

A few extra notes about the performance on Thursday night: there was a professional photographer wandering around and taking pictures. At the moment I haven't seen any notification about his work (e.g. uploading his pictures to the kibbutz website), although when I got home on Thursday I received a WhatsApp message saying that 'my magnet is in my postbox'. It appears that this photographer was like those at weddings who take hundreds of pictures then straightaway put them on magnets so that people have a reminder of the wedding. Indeed, he may have put up a board in the lobby to the auditorium where the magnets were shown, but the lobby was so full of people (and I was busy taking parts of the drum kit back to our rehearsal room) that I couldn't see anything except people.

My wife said "It's good that you were wearing a black shirt", or in other words that I look good in the photographs. I replied that it was a shame that most of my fellow musicians didn't make any sartorial effort.

I've uploaded three song videos to YouTube:

There should be a fourth song, the most ambitious that we have played, but for some reason I have this in two parts with a few seconds missing in the middle. No problem, I thought: I'll use one of the video editor programs to stitch the two together, and while I'm at it, I'll crop the video a little. I then spent at least one frustrating hour trying to do this. I think that the problems started with the fact that the files were in mp4 format. Movie Maker wants its own format, so first I tried looking for free offline video editing software on the Internet. I found a few and tried working with them: for some reason, the picture got turned upside down (i.e. rotated by 180°). I sorted this out and added a dissolve between the two videos; although there was sound in the video editor, the final output file was silent. This happened in a few different programs. Then I tried converting mp4 to MWV but again the resulting file was silent. I discovered that Movie Maker can accept mp4 files, but there seems to be a problem with mp4 files coming from an iPhone. 

I'll conclude with something different: whilst walking the dog at 6:15 am yesterday morning, I was struck by the cloud formation and how it was lit by the rising sun. So I whipped out my phone and took a picture that for once was successful.





This day in history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
11309/12/2007UncleUncle
21809/12/2009After the accounting examMBA
52509/12/2012Guitar standGuitars
65909/12/2013Gymnopedie Number 3?Woody Allen, Satie
90709/12/2015Margin call and redundancyFilms, Business novel
98909/12/2016Greg Lake, RIPObituary, King Crimson
109709/12/2017Delphi 7/Hebrew programs running on Windows 10Programming, Delphi, Unicode
156209/12/2022Yitzchak Klepter, 1950-2022Israel, Obituary

No comments: