Thursday, January 13, 2022

Desiccated apple slices

As I mentioned about a week ago, our Ninja grill has five functions: grill, roast, air-fry, bake and dehydrate. I've already grilled and air fried; maybe one day I'll roast some beef in the machine but I can't see myself baking anything. This leaves the 'dehydrate' function. I made a quick search looking for recipes and found three variations on the same thing: desiccated apple slices. 

One slices an apple into thin slices (I found that the slices that I cut from the apple weren't particularly thin, but that I was able to slice them in two once they had already been cut from the apple) and places the pieces in the Ninja vegetable dish, adding a little lemon juice (to prevent browning) and cinnamon. One then chooses the 'dehydrate' function whose default temperature is 60°C and default time 6 hours (!). I was tempted to turn the Ninja on at 9 pm before going to bed; true, it would finish cooking at 3 am whereas I get up at 5:30 am, but in that extra time the heating would be turned off and anyway the extra time would serve to further desiccate the slices. But my wife demurred....

So I left the slices in the basket, and turned the Ninja on when I got up in the morning. After three hours, I opened the lid and tasted a slice - chewy and not dry. An hour later, the slices had improved but still not there yet. After five hours, I tasted a slice and decided that the slices had been dehydrated sufficiently.

I am now eating those slices; they're ok, although I just ate a slightly thicker slice and can tell that this one was not totally dehydrated. Whilst it might be cheaper to make one's own apple slices, I don't think that I'll repeat this. Maybe it would work better with banana slices, but I'm not allowed to eat bananas any more - too much potassium, and of course, the dehydration has no effect on the potassium level.

No comments: