Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Hejira

Drove to Carmiel and back today; five hours driving in less than ten hours.

Listening material:
  • Randy Newman, "Live at the LA Largo" - a recording of the show Randy gave to introduce the public last year to his new "Harps and Angels" disc. The show has all of the H&A songs in the correct order, along with four extra songs at the end. I made a picture sleeve for the disc and intended to get Randy to autograph it last year, when he was supposed to come to Israel for a concert.
  • William Orbit, "Pieces in a modern style".
    I found this a few years ago when looking for interpretations of Ravel. His sublime "Pavane pour une infante defunte" is here, although this version doesn't contain the entire piece and so is less heart rending than other versions. The Ravel is one of the few pieces which is actually recognisable, but I find this disc to be relaxing listening.
  • Joni Mitchell, "Hejira". I remember reading a review of this record in "Melody Maker" when it was released in 1976; a friend bought a copy and I promptly taped it. I bought my own cd copy several years ago. It was a distinct pleasure to listen to the disc in the car stereo; the guitars (some of which don't sound like guitars at all) and vibraphone made pointillistic love in the late afternoon sun.

No comments: