Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Weather report

No, I don't mean the jazz-rock group from the late 1970s, I mean weather - what goes on outside of the window.

We've been receiving forecasts that today is going to be extremely hot, due to a sharav - a hot wind which apparently contains high numbers of protons sucked in from the solar wind. Days like this are extremely unpleasant and cause many people to suffer from headaches and dehydration.

At 6am, the temperature both outside and inside the house was 23 degrees Celsius. I don't know what the temperature is now (8:30am) as I'm writing this from work, but I do know that my left temple is already starting to throb, and my throat is dry. The scientist in me is interested to know what effect the sharav will have on me, whereas the person inside me would prefer not to suffer.

I do have pills for migraines which work, not too efficiently. They're composed of paracetamol, codeine and ingredient X (whose name I can never remember). Ingredient X is included in order to minimise nausea, which sometimes can be an appreciable factor in the migraine. I'm not sure whether this is a side effect or not, but this ingredient also has the tendency to put me to sleep. The advantage is that I miss most of the pain; the disadvantage is that obviously I can't take these pills and continue to work, so sometimes I have to make a decision what to do. Fortunately for me, migraines rarely start in the morning, so missing work hasn't been much of a problem.

Further updates during the day (depending on my ability to write...).

No comments: