Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Slouching towards Jerusalem (part one)

On Friday morning, my son's class will begin walking (or should that be slouching?) towards Jerusalem. The distance is about 30km, and the march will be spread over two days. I hope that the weather stays like it is now - cool with a breeze; this makes walking so much easier and enjoyable. I'll be walking along with them.

My daughter's class did the same route five years ago, so I know what it's like and how it starts. Unfortunately I pulled a thigh muscle towards the end of the first day and so had to retire hurt; I missed the grand entrance into Jerusalem on the Saturday afternoon. After pulling the thigh muscle I then developed an infected tooth which caused me a great deal of pain and resulted in root canal treatment, but that's another story. I just hope that history won't repeat itself.

The walk covers two of the class's tasks: the walk itself to Jerusalem (which culminates in a harrowing visit to the Holocaust museum in Jerusalem) is one task, and the overnight stay - which will be sleeping outside around the campfire - will be the other.

I'll report on the trip next week.

No comments: