Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Mint chocolate ice cream

At the beginning of the year, I was very happy to discover that a new ice cream emporium was selling mint chocolate ice cream. Unfortunately, after that first visit (and maybe a second), that flavour has yet to reappear. Obviously fewer people like it than I thought.

A few months ago it seemed as if there were an ice cream shortage in Israel. When I mentioned this to a friend, he told me about a shop that sells ice cream at very low prices. As this shop is around the corner from the health food shop where I buy rice milk regularly, I popped in there on my next visit. Apart from regular ice cream, they also had one freezer of Ben and Jerry's, and amongst the various flavours I found a container of mint chocolate cookie ice cream that I immediately bought. They have forgone the traditional green colour of this type of ice cream, and I could have done without the cookies, but otherwise I very much enjoyed eating this ice cream.

Since then I've been in that shop a few times but each time there was no mint chocolate flavoured ice cream to be found (in fact, the freezer was almost empty). I went to the health food shop on Friday, and as usual I went to the ice cream shop to discover that this time the B&J freezer was now full of different flavoured ice cream. I went through the various cartons until I found what I was looking for. I asked the salesman why this flavour hadn't been stocked for some time, and he said that every now and then a B&J representative comes and fills the freezer. I asked that they always bring some cartons of this specific flavour.

The price? If one buys only one carton then it costs 20 NIS; two cost 17.5 NIS each (ie 35 together), and three cost 17 NIS each. I don't need three at the moment, and as the price difference is minimal between 2 and 3 cartons, I bought two. Each carton weighs 500g, so I bought 1 kg ice cream for 35 NIS. Golda charge 102-106 NIS for a kilo (I don't remember the exact price). Why pay inflated prices when one can get a similar product at a fraction of the price?

I very much doubt that I will finish even one carton before my next visit to the health shop. As the days are quite short and cool, this isn't optimal ice cream eating weather, so I'm only eating a small portion now and then.

No comments: