Thursday, March 24, 2022

My first year as a Londoner, part 4: "The Movement"

As I have either hinted or stated outright, "The Movement" (aka Habonim) was very important to me in my London years. "The mo'adon" (clubhouse) was located at 523 Finchley Road (it's no longer there!), a ten minute walk (if not less) from where I lived. This was a double house that had been converted into one, so there were a multitude of rooms on several floors. There was also a sports hall at the back, and behind that a large store for camping equipment; I set foot in there maybe once or twice. I had come to know the mo'adon very well in 1972 as I stayed there for several days; also in 1973. This building housed the offices of the central movement (top floor) but also was the meeting house for the North West London branch, where activities were held every Sunday and at least one other day during the week.

To use a military metaphor, the movement could be seen as existing as a battalion: each centre was a company composed of three to five platoons, one for each age group. Each platoon would generally have two leaders, and there would be a company commander responsible for all the groups in a specific centre. The battalion (central movement) had a few staff officers. For my first two years in London, I was both a platoon leader and a company staff officer; I was nothing in my third year in London and in the fourth year I was a battalion staff officer. 

Originally I was 'contracted' to look after the group of 10-11 year olds in North West London. We physically met in a front room on the ground floor, ironically a room in which I had and would spend very little time outside of these meetings. I don't remember anything else about this activity except that it wasn't a match made in heaven. I have no idea if I completed the year or stopped sometime; I suspect the latter. Probably the meeting lasted from 3-5 pm, after which other groups would have their meetings (it might be that the 12-13 year olds also met at the same hour). After the meeting, I would have nothing much to do until about 6:30 pm, when we used to cook supper (normally cauliflower cheese) for whoever was in the building at the time, normally the leaders and those who were coming for meetings in the evening. Sometimes the girlfriend (hereinafter, GF) would be there, sometimes not; she had two younger sisters who were involved in different groups, and so sometimes they would come as a family.

Possibly there were general meetings on a Tuesday or Wednesday evening for topics like art. I have no memory of such meetings in the first year, but they definitely existed in the second year: for example, we brought in a yoga teacher for a weekly one hour session.

In about mid-October we had an activity for the entire North West London 'company' (bar the youngsters): we spent a weekend at a youth hostel in Cambridge. The youth hostel rules at the time were that one member could bring a certain number of 'guests' to stay, if those 'guests' were part of an organised group. So I (and some others) took out membership in the youth hostel association, something that I would use several times. I remember very little about this weekend, except for a few bad things. I slept in a room with several youngsters, probably aged 14-15; they talked all night and made a terrific row. People from other rooms came in to complain. I slept very badly that night which is why I was probably in a bad mood the following day. I had organised for us to see the film 'Fiddler on the roof' on the Saturday evening, but hadn't accounted for the length of the film and how long it would take us to get back to the youth hostel before they closed their doors. As a result, we had to leave mid-way though the film; I have a memory of us walking down a wide street on the way back to the hostel: were there no buses? What could have been a good weekend was fairly traumatic; the GF was also there and was treated to see what happens to me when I don't get enough sleep. So there were problems there as well.

The next major memory is from Chanuka: it had been agreed that there would be a communal ceremony with a sister youth movement ('Dror', with whom Habonim eventually merged) somewhere around Golders Green. The 'company commander' and I, along with someone else were to lead the ceremony; I persuaded the GF to come with me onto the stage and help sing, although she probably didn't know the songs too well. One portion of the ceremony had the 'company commander' reading a text behind which I played a sympathetic and improvised background on the guitar; this segment went down very well.

At the end of 1974, there was the senior leadership week-long seminar that was held this year at some student centre in Chigwell, a rural piece of east London. I, of course, went; the GF didn't. There was a break for a few days at the end, and then I continued at the same place, cooking for the week-long youngsters' camp. Originally I was the sous chef, working with the same girl as in the summer, but after a day or two, she said that her mother was ill and left. Someone suggested that she was bored and/or didn't want to continue which is why she left; I don't know. We might have met each other one more time but no more than once. So I was left to cook for the entire camp; did I have help? I don't remember. I certainly don't remember anything else about the week so it might be that I worked almost around the clock.

At some time during January, I had a huge row with the 'company commander' in the hall of 'the bayit'; he wanted to do something similar to our successful Chanuka ceremony but I said that I couldn't commit myself to it, that what happened previously was spontaneous and probably was good precisely because it hadn't been planned. Anyway, the argument went back and forth, getting more and more heated. I don't remember how it ended, but it might well be that I left the North West London 'company' after this. Someone overheard the argument and told me later that I was in the right.

Possibly in parallel to all the above was my involvement with the Edgware 'company' that had gone independent maybe the year before and was run by my best friend Jeremy. I can't work out the time line as there seem to be conflicting memories. In the summer, I had cooked at the camp for the 12-13 year olds; one of the leaders there was a young girl called Judy B. At some stage we were going to run a group together, and I have a memory of going to her house and talking about plans. But then she said that she wasn't interested. Was this for the 10-11 year olds in NWL? A group in Edgware? 

What complicates matters is that sometime, probably in November 1974, I was involved in the planning of a weekend meeting for all the 12-13 year olds in the country, to be held in Manchester; I was to cook. Why was I involved if I wasn't working with children of this age? Maybe I was: I have a very faint memory of finishing the meeting with the 10-11 year olds in NWL then catching a bus to Edgware in order to run a meeting with 12-13 years olds. So how do I remember cooking supper back in NWL? Maybe this is the false memory, dating from 1972-3.

Anyway, at some stage, off we went on a chartered coach to Manchester one Friday evening. I doubt that we left before 6 pm and we didn't arrive until 11 pm or even later. From hereon, pandemonium reigned until some time on Sunday afternoon. I remember going to the kitchen when we arrived and sorting out the food; I may even have prepared food that evening. That weekend was a non-stop round of cooking food and cleaning, for which I had some help. I slept in the kitchen. After that weekend, I heard some reports of children being ill from the food; I tried my hardest to keep everything clean, and I suspect that the children were simply suffering from exhaustion and incomplete digestion.

Other mid-week activities in NWL included a song evening sometime in January, where I sang a new song that unfortunately was about a couple splitting up. I introduced it by saying that the song had no connection whatsoever to my current situation, and now it is interesting to consider how this song came about. Another evening had us watching the film 'Goodbye Columbus'; we used to enjoy watching the films shown backwards as they were respooled. There must have been more similar activities, but these seem to be the only ones that I remember (and it took me some time to remember even those).

At the beginning of February was a very important event: a group of maybe 25 people from my year and the year above converged on Simon's house in Birmingham for a weekend of discussions about forming an emigration group. Over the next few years, new people would come in and others would leave, but this is the formal beginning. I rode back to London on the pillion of Simon's motorbike, two hours on the motorway - and fell asleep! At least I didn't fall off.

In the Passover holidays I remember opening with Jeremy a day centre in Edgware; maybe this was only for a few days and quite possibly only a few children came. Then there was the European seminar that I wrote about here. I didn't mention that the GF decided to attend as well; this was without my prompting. We had to vacate the premises for the final night of the seminar, and so everybody came to the sports hall of the moadon and were supposed to sleep there. GF and I quickly made our way up the road to the bayit.

In early July we held a few days' long camp for the Edgware 'company' in a proper camp site somewhere in the northern fringes of London. Presumably we all had a nice and relaxed time, as the only thing that I remember about it was borrowing someone's 50 cc motorbike for a trial ride. I had no problems with balance as I had ridden pillion on a motorbike for six years, whilst going to school. This probably would have been a deciding factor in the decision to purchase a motorbike upon my return from Israel in September 1975.

That near enough wraps up my memories of 'The Movement' in my first year as a Londoner. Hidden behind several of the incidents mentioned is that I wasn't a very good youth leader and I didn't enjoy this part of the movement. I declined an offer to cook for a camp in the summer and decided to go to Israel for two months instead. In the following year, I would 'transfer' to Southgate where I would work under the tutelage of Simon; this was a much better and enjoyable environment, although it did entail a 40 minute drive (?) around the North Circular Road. It's just as well that I had a motorbike then otherwise this would have been problematic; maybe I wouldn't have transferred, preferring instead to stay with NWL.

No comments: