Sunday, February 27, 2022

More musicians

Several musicians, who have been somewhat peripheral to my music collection, have died in the past week or so, and it would be remiss of me not to mention them.

First was Norma Waterson, of the Watersons family singing group, whose husband is Martin Carthy. I have a disk of hers somewhere but have listened to it maybe once. The Watersons tended to be strictly traditional and at one stage unaccompanied, which is why our paths haven't crossed very much.

Then there was Ian McDonald from the first line-up of King Crimson. I have both the first KC album, where he dominates, as well as 'McDonald and Giles'. He promised much but disappeared early from my radar.

Finally there is Gary Brooker from Procul Harum: apart from their first two singles ('Whiter shade of pale' and 'Homburg'), I also have their 'A salty dog' disk. The eponymous song is excellent but the rest of the album pales in comparison.

No comments: