Wednesday, August 25, 2021

New oven gloves

As strange as it may seem, I've had quite a few problems with oven gloves in the past years. I had one good set of gloves but they got burnt when I held them too close to the flame on the gas rings. This of course compromised their ability to shield the wearer from heat so I was forced to throw them out. I find also that repeated laundry causes the gloves to shrink slightly each time.

Since then, my wife occasionally comes home with new gloves when I complain, but these have all been unsuitable, primarily because they are too small. Last week she came home with a pair that looked like the mouth of cartoon characters: I could (barely) put my hands inside the gloves and have them talking to each other. Apart from their entertainment value, these gloves are useless as they are too small.

So I thought that I would try my luck on the Internet: a few nights ago I came across the gloves pictured above that are being sold at a reasonable price, although delivery costs almost doubled the cost. They arrived today at my home, about 36 hours after they were ordered, so at least the delivery was efficient. The gloves are nice and big, although a little bigger wouldn't have hurt. 

I looked at the gloves - and at the picture - and see that there is a problem regarding the picture on the gloves. Presumably to save money, all the gloves have the picture printed on what could be the inner side of the left glove (or outer side of the right glove); when one puts on the gloves, one glove has the picture on the inside and one the outside, instead of both on the inside (or outside). In other words, instead of producing enantiomers, they have produced identical copies. Oh well. I suppose that it doesn't really matter that much, but I'm surprised that no one has noticed.

I have just looked at all the oven gloves for sale on the company's site and they all suffer from the same printing problem. Obviously I'm finicky.

No comments: