Sunday, February 07, 2021

Cormoran Strike (3)

Something that I missed writing about earlier: I think that this book gives away the fact that it was written by a woman. There's a section about choosing perfume that I very much doubt that a man could have written. I certainly couldn't have written it as I am almost anosmic* - there are many things, including perfume, that I can't smell, although of the things that I can smell, most of them I don't like, primarily coffee and cigarette smoke. There is also a bit about the significance of a man buying chocolates or flowers as a birthday present - apparently it means that the man did not devote much time or thought to the present and so it doesn't mean much to the recipient.

I shall bear that in mind the next time I have to buy a birthday present for a woman.

* I'm fairly certain that this started in my final year at university when I spent several weeks working with a nasty chemical called acetonitrile which was the solvent of choice for my liquid chromatography experiments.
 

No comments: