Thursday, June 20, 2019

The end is in sight!

Although it wasn't documented here, I had a discussion with my doctoral supervisor two weeks ago in which we talked about the two remaining chapters which have to be written for my thesis. The penultimate chapter (I think that it's chapter six in the thesis) is entitled 'Data Analysis' and the final chapter is entitled 'Conclusions'.

It's time to start writing up the interviews which I have carried out in the past few months - including two which were carried out this week! 'Data analysis' is not a particularly good name as there isn't supposed to be any analysis in this chapter; 'presenting the raw data' is what the chapter does but that also isn't a good name. A much better name would be 'Case studies report'.

The chapter starts with a paragraph about each participating company, along with one about a company which declined to participate as they don't develop enhancements. It is important to include this company as a 'negative' example. They are in the hi-tech pharma development business sector, so I imagine that they use Priority for purchasing and accounting but not for their core business. I have to remember to add a table at the end of this section, summarising the information.

Then I present examples of the enhancements which the companies talked about, followed by selected answers to the interview questions. This is a bit awkward as I didn't transcribe the interviews word for word but instead translated  and summarised them. I must remember to present here quotes and not summaries.

I intend to finish this chapter by the end of the month which is definitely possible if I work on it most days. I'll try and write as much as possible over the weekend; I always have to 'get in the mood' for working on the thesis which takes a little time and so it's best to work as much as possible when I've achieved the required mind set.

I also worked a little on the title pages: I added a proper title page along with acknowledgments (this was already 90% complete in a separate document) and dedication. This latter item reads This thesis is dedicated to my two grandchildren Shaked and Li’or, who were born during the years of doctoral study, in the hope that one day they will appreciate that the old geezer with the white hair knew something in his time.

I will start work on the final chapter after I submit the completed chapter to my supervisor and wait for his reply. I have a list of topics which have to be covered in this chapter so at least I have a framework which simplifies the work. Finishing everything by the end of August seems definitely possible although of course there will be a polishing period. Assuming that the supervisor is satisfied, we can start arrangements for the viva exam, which will really be close to the end.

This work on the thesis means that I have to juggle my personal time and find the optimal allocation: along with the thesis I have dog walks (both short and long) and consulting work for two customers. This leaves no time for music: I have found that working on the songs is like falling into a bottomless pit with regard to time.

No comments: