Monday, May 07, 2018

Never underestimate the power of a hot shower

No, this isn't going to be about cleanliness but about solving problems.

I've been very busy the past week and will be in the coming week, traveling almost every day in order to attend meetings in Tel Aviv, Haifa and Karmiel. Today, I have a 'day off' - a chance to work on my own and complete various tasks.

Yesterday, I wrote very rapidly a few reports in-between meetings; the reports didn't work as expected but I didn't have the time to figure out where the mistakes lay. I showered in the evening before going to bed, and as usual my mind went over the events of the day. Scientists say that hot showers cause the body to relax and create alpha waves in the brain; it's the alpha waves which promote problem solving. So there in the shower, I realised that one report was checking orders which had reached a certain status - but in my rush, I had forgotten to define what that status was. Sure enough, this morning I defined the status - and hey presto!, the report produces data (very important data, I might point out).

A similar activity is walking the dog (or mowing the lawn); I'm sure I've written about this before. This morning, at about 5:45 am, the answer to another problematic report popped into my head.

Abstracting these activities, the important thing is to get away from the computer and think things through without typing!

No comments: