Sunday, June 05, 2016

Saturday salmon

I discovered a few weeks ago that the supermarket where my wife shops stocks frozen salmon steaks. I decided to buy some and see how well I could cook them. After marinading them all night in a mixture of lemon juice and olive oil, I grilled them for about twelve minutes (six per side) on a hot griddle pan. Below is the result


I had already smeared mayonnaise on the fish before remembering that I should take a photograph, but the burn marks from the griddle pan are still visible.

I think this is how fish should be served: a crust on the outside (with Maillard reaction products) and soft inside. I have to admit that the flesh didn't have any lemon flavour, implying that the marinade was either ineffective or unnecessary. Once I used to cook the steaks in the slow cooker, but that method doesn't give any advantage, save allowing me to prepare the food a few hours in advance of eating. Grilling them in the pan means doing so immediately prior to eating; it would be wrong to grill then keep the food warm in the oven for an hour.

The quality of the served fish justified the price of the salmon: all the diners were very appreciative.

No comments: