Thursday, May 19, 2011

Mobile computer update

For the last ten days or so, I've been carrying around a heavy IBM R61 (?) mobile computer which has no battery. As a result, I was unable to use the computer on any of the train journeys which I made during that time, which partially negates the whole point of having a mobile computer.

I am pleased to report that the lemon has been replaced with a neat IBM X61s (with battery), which is the same as I had before I was given the lemon. Actually, this computer is slightly better than my previous computer, as the sound card on this computer works.

I should point out that the IT personnel have mobile computers which are 'lent' to them; if the company suddenly needs a mobile computer for some reason and none are available, then our computers are seconded to that need. That's why this new computer (to me) is actually the fifth different mobile computer which I've had in the past few years. Most of my work I do with a desktop computer in my cubby-hole, so these changes don't affect me that much.

No comments: