Monday, December 22, 2008

Firebird flies

Yesterday and today I converted my 'cinema/dvd library' database program to work with Firebird. Like everything else, at first my steps were hesitant, but by the end, the conversion went quickly. I was even able to revise parts which I had already converted.

As opposed to the first program which I tried to convert, 'cinema' is mainly a data-out program. Getting data out of a database is always easier than entering it, and the speed of conversion reflected this.

There was only one minor sql syntax change needed: when I was using the BDE, if I wanted to sort by a calculated field, I would have to use an alias:
select actors.id, actors.name, count(castlist.film) as cnt
...
order by cnt desc

This doesn't work with dbExpress/Firebird, and has to be expressed as
select actors.id, actors.name, count(castlist.film)
...
order by count(castlist.film) desc


No comments: