Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Firebird/2

After writing on Sunday that I had 'cracked dbExpress', I went home confidently and tried duplicating Dr Bob's code. Nothing worked, and I got the same error messages as I had been getting previously from my own code.

Yesterday I looked at my code and Dr Bob's again, and eventually found what the secret ingredient was. It transpires that my test databases had been defined as 'sql dialect 1', whereas I was trying to access them as 'sql dialect 3'. Dr Bob's code used 'sql dialect 1', which is why it worked.

Following this eureka moment, things really did start falling into place, and I spent another hour or so tidying up code and trying different possibilities. I still have a few more ideas to check out which hopefully will make the code slightly more efficient.

No comments: