Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Accident

Last time around, I wrote "I had a few health problems with both my legs (though not at the same time) which conspired to reduce my walking ability and taint my outlook on life whilst not being a major nor even minor threat to my general health". Little did I know.

On Saturday, 25 October, we had torrential rain for about an hour and a half. As I live on the edge of a forest and at the top of a hill, a lot of mud and small stones were washed down from the forest onto the main road which runs down the hill. Early on Sunday morning, I set off for work as usual on my motorcycle, got to the bottom of the hill, prepared to turn right ... and the motorbike continued straight on, as its wheels were coated in mud.

Emulating Bob Dylan, I had a minor motorcycle accident: a severely bruised left foot and ankle. Fortunately, x-rays showed that there were no broken bones. The doctor at the trauma clinic gave me 10 days off work, during which I could barely move. In the last couple of days there has been great improvement - time is the great healer - although I still can't walk properly and the ankle is still tender. Apparently at least another week is required before all the bruising, swelling and pain will disappear.

No comments: