Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Killarney Boys Of Pleasure

I uploaded a few new instrumentals to my SoundClick page, including a traditional Irish tune bearing the very politically incorrect name of 'Killarney Boys Of Pleasure'. I was in Killarney once but I didn't meet any boys of pleasure (and probably would have run a mile had I done so). I imagine that the meaning of "boys of pleasure" has changed somewhat over the years....

Anyway, this is normally a fast paced violin tune, but the version which I know by Lunasa slowed it down "to make it sound groovy", to quote the sleeve notes to their "Merry Sisters Of Fate" disc. Their version informed and inspired my version, and to give credit where credit is due, I think that their version is better.

I saw Lunasa when that disc came out, and reviewed both their concert and the disc for the GreenMan review online magazine. I couldn't find those reviews now after a quick search on GMR's website, but my review of then Lunasa guitarist Donogh Hennessey's music book is still there. I thought that I was doing the band a favour by giving this book a positive review (and I bought it with my own money), but Donogh sent a vicious and personally insulting reply in return which totally turned me off reviewing.

When in Ireland in 2002, I bought their followup disc, "Redwood", but didn't like it. I still don't like it, not for personal reasons, but for professional ones: the dynamics which made MSOF so good are totally lacking in "Redwood" and turns Lunasa into "just another Irish band".

Anyway, I digress (and what's the point of blogs if one can't digress every now and then?). My version of 'Killarney Boys Of Pleasure' is up at SoundClick, I hope that you'll listen and give it a 'hot' vote.

No comments: