Saturday, August 12, 2023

Eli, continued

I've awoken early on a Saturday morning (no alarm clock) after a not particularly restful night. One reason is that my lower legs are aching again, but the other reason is that I spent quite some time thinking about and dreaming about Eli.

Yesterday I neglected to mention that one thing that surprised me about Eli was his patience when dealing with people who clearly did not understand topics that seem simple and obvious to him (and to me), such as inventory maintenance and cost accounting. Whilst I would not expect 'the man in the street' to understand these topics, someone who is performing a professional job in these areas should understand. I remember speaking to his secretary after one such incident, saying that I would never have been so patient with the non-understanding person; "yes", she said, "he's very patient". Maybe I'm growing more patient myself as I spent several hours a few days ago trying to explain to a purchasing manager why a (general) part that is marked 'without inventory management' does not enter inventory.

This morning I remembered a turning point in our relationship, from way back in 2005. I didn't remember the date so I had to look through a series of emails to my friend, when I used to write about many subjects, including work and Eli. His arrival is noted, the way that we started off on a bad manner, how things improved - or did not - over the years. I wanted to write yesterday that Eli never lost his temper, despite the various provocations, but it turns out that this was not true. Maybe he mellowed over the years, but certainly the four years in which he managed the chairs factory were very difficult (both in terms of company performance and in terms of personal relationships) and I was surprised to read that several times I thought about leaving the company.

I want to quote (almost verbatim) a portion of an email that I wrote in April 2005; reading it now, I don't know how much my correspondent understood, but it serves as an excellent reminder. I had a eureka moment a few days ago. A couple of months ago, someone in the sales department voiced the wish to produce price quotations along with pictures of the chairs. At first I wasn't too keen about programming this, as it would have taken a great deal of work, at least in the original vision. Someone else approached various companies for quotations, and we had a summing up meeting in which we heard that such a program (in its grand vision) would cost at least $5000. By this stage I had done some thinking and realised that our usual [quasi ERP] program could output data to Excel, and with the help of a macro within Excel, we could marry the pictures to the data. Cost: nil. Time necessary for development: a few hours. So I started work on this, and finished about a month ago. 

All the time I had been saying that we needed a library of pictures whose names would match the part numbers, whether we use my simple solution or some outside program. But the person who dreamt up the idea hadn't bothered to do anything about this, and received a sharp rebuke from the general manager that the program's deployment was now dependent on the library being created. Two weeks later we had a library (missing quite a few pictures) and a date was set for training. So for last Tuesday I prepared a four page document explaining in excrutiating detail how to prepare a price quotation with pictures, and in the afternoon I displayed it to about 10 people. Despite this being a quick and simple solution, I had some nagging feelings about it, completely different feelings from anyone else. 

After the meeting, someone else came up to me with a problem about labels - we print two labels for every chair which get stuck on the chair's bottom and its plastic bag, so that we can identify them. The problem had a simple solution and he went away satisfied. That evening I went walking, and is my wont I cast my mind over the day's events. The slight unease which I had felt regarding the training was suddenly replaced with great excitement when I recalled the label incident. For, what is the label if not a printout from our ERP program along with a picture? 

The next morning I wrote a detailed email explaining the 'aha' moment, and as there wasn't too much work on hand, I started work on the program. By Thursday evening it was in a reasonable state of completion; bits and pieces got added on Friday morning, and then on Sunday I added the piece de resistance - sending the program's output not to a printer but rather to a quasi-printer which creates PDF files. These are document files which are platform-independent, ie they can be read on many computer systems: Windows, Macintosh, Linux et al. This way, the user runs the program which extracts data from our database program, matches pictures, creates a pdf file and then sends it to the customer via email. An added benefit is that we don't have to print the quotation but rather let the customer do it himself (less costs for us).

The point of all the above is the 'sharp rebuke' that someone received. This someone was a 'golden' boy who had been forced upon us (kibbutz workers) and had done nothing to justify his rating, so that was also a good moment.

One thing that Eli had been doing over the past few years, with my active encouragement, was codifying knowledge. This means that instead of having specific work-related knowledge existing only in a worker's brain, it would be somehow stored in our ERP program so that we would be less dependent on that worker and more independent. As I wrote in my doctoral thesis (still awaiting a date for the viva examination), An additional goal was to reduce the number of production decisions taken on the factory floor, by institutionalising the knowledge via improved BOMs and accurate data about inventory and scheduling. This knowledge would now be stored in the ERP system, immune to personnel changes and knowledge hoarding. This goal is aligned with the knowledge retention practices as outlined by Jayawickrama et al. (2019) and preventing knowledge erosion (Wickert and Herschel, 2001). In my world, this is very important, but I couldn't have achieved it without Eli's support.

Rereading this blog gives the impression that it's more about the professional me than it is about remembering Eli. So be it.

No doubt I will have more remarks to make, later on. 



This day in history:

Blog #Date TitleTags
61612/08/2013PuzzlePuzzles
75012/08/2014Robin Williams, RIPFilms, Obituary

No comments: