Friday, March 06, 2020

Sorting out the hardware

Despite my unsuccessful morning ruining hardware the other day, everything has now more or less been sorted. My diagnosis of the computer that wouldn't boot was correct: the boot sequence had been reset. For some reason, I couldn't correct it, but my computer repairman did. I still have to configure the PCI music card which I installed: the driver and associated software came on one of those mini-discs and the CD drive in the computer can't read it (actually, the drive can't read anything, but that's another story). I'll get out my external CD drive and try and read the disk from there. In the mean time, I'm back to using my external sound card.

After wasting a fair amount of time with the television screen, I decided that we should buy a new one. Today's screens can connect to the internet via a wireless router - I'm listening to Japanese ambient sounds from YouTube playing from the television. Once I set the screen up, I discovered quickly that the new screen was displaying exactly the same error message as its predecessor did, which fairly annoyed me. My son in law was enlisted to help: he discovered that the error message was due to the satellite receiver not being able to read its card properly. He took the card out, cleaned it slightly, reset the receiver ... and now everything works as it should: the satellite on HDMI 1 and the DVD on HDMI 2. I haven't had any chance to watch anything on the DVD in the past few days but I'm sure it will be ok. I understand that I can use the screen as a display for my computer but I haven't looked for the technical explanation yet.

No comments: