Thursday, August 08, 2019

Night walking

I've been very busy in the past few weeks, although not with anything worth writing about. Despite the heavy schedule, I've managed to fit in a long walk (3.75-4.15 km) every evening. Due to the heat (and sometimes the schedule), I've only been able to start walking at 19:30, and as the days are getting shorter, the final part of the walk has been in the dark.

I became aware of this problem a few weeks ago and decided to purchase a few items to make the walk safer: a 'head light' for me and a flashing collar for the dog. Five minutes with Ebay sufficed to order what I needed.

This is what I bought for myself: as always, it looks better in the picture than it does in reality. I think that the lamp appears here to be slightly larger when compared to the head band than what it really is. The lamp can be angled so that it points at the path just in front of the walker as opposed to lighting up the general area. I haven't decided which is better: I think that it's more important that approaching vehicles see me (there are very few at the time when I walk along the way) as opposed to lighting my path.

There are a few settings for the lamp: strong, normal, flashing and off. I used the strong setting but I may reduce it to normal.


The dog collar also comes with a few settings: quick flashing, slow flashing, completely on and completely off. I ordered a red collar which I set to quick flashing. I took a few pictures of the dog with the flashing collar but they all came out without the flashing. I'm not too sure whether the collar is sufficiently visible in the dark as the dog's ears seem to mask most of the light. 

Tonight was the first night that I needed the lamps, and then only on the return leg. 

No comments: