Thursday, May 30, 2019

Yet another new mobile phone

After about a week's usage of the LG G4 phone which I received in just over a month ago, I complained to the person responsible for phones in our company that I had been given a lemon; I also requested a new phone (with a box, i.e. not a second hand one). Finally yesterday I received this new phone, a Samsung A9. I couldn't do much with the phone until I arrived home, which is where I have an active wifi connection.

As soon as I connected the phone to the wifi, applications started downloading (42). Obviously the Google material (mail, photos, contacts) and WhatsApp chats returned, but also applications which I had installed on my previous Samsung returned. As a result, I didn't have to start looking around for applications. Overnight, an operating system update occurred.

It'll take a few days to get used to this phone, and that's after having gotten used to the LG phone, more or less. One slight problem is that the socket for the USB cable is different - it is a type C connector. Obviously the phone came with a suitable cable and we have at home an adapter which transforms a type B (?) connector to a type C. I think that I will keep the phone's cable in my work bag and use the special adapter at home. Or maybe I'll buy another cable with the right connector.

The only major problem which I have so far is that MapMyWalk is not measuring the distance walked: although the 'location' function is turned on, the GPS is not and this seems to be the problem. I have written to them and will see what the answer is. I am not married to this app.

No comments: