Friday, May 03, 2019

Diet, part 2

Friday mornings are when I weigh myself. I wasn't sure whether I was expecting that my changes in diet would have an effect yet on my weight, so I was surprised and pleased when I discovered that I had dropped 800g in one week! I now weigh 81.1 kg, which whilst being in the correct direction, is still 3kg more than I weighed a few years ago.

As I wrote before, yesterday was the first meeting in a series of six for kibbutz members who are in the glucose danger zone: not diabetic yet, but will be diabetic unless steps are taken. I felt somewhat out of place as most of the people there were 10-20 years older than me; I was definitely the youngest. In terms of content, the nurse explained the causes of diabetes, and reiterated that we are in a position to prevent diabetes, by changing diet and by exercising. 

Several people in the group expressed surprise that they are considered to be at risk, for they have been maintaining a healthy lifestyle for years. It was explained that by virtue of their healthy lifestyle, they have not become diabetic yet and so should continue in their habits. The body wears out and diabetes is one of the problems that 80 year olds face.

I didn't get much out of the meeting, partially because I had been to my own dietician a few days previously and partially because I have read up on the subject. Next week there will be no meeting, as it will be Independence Day, and the two weeks after that I will be in Greece. I won't be missing much.

After the meeting, I took the dog for a walk. The day previously, I commenced running an app on my phone which counts steps: I discovered that without a long walk, I took about 4500 steps a day - half of the recommended value. I had been expecting a lower number for I had thought that my walks with the dog didn't contribute very much. Today I suspect that the total will be much higher, even without the long walk.

After the dog walk, I came home to a supper of tuna salad which I wolfed down (to my wife's pleasure), accompanied by several glasses of cold lemon water. I found it very easy to drink the cold water, although this might well be because the last few days have been very hot - 30 degrees in the house at 8pm! 

So far, so good. I have to continue this way!

No comments: