Monday, April 15, 2019

Communications

I discovered this morning that I had lost my mobile phone. I certainly had it when I left home, as I used it to open an electric gate near my house which leads to the main road. It was only after about an hour at work that I felt a need to check my phone ... and it wasn't in my coat pocket. I tried ringing the number but there was no answer. As I turned on the GPS function  permanently a few weeks ago, there should be the possibility of locating the phone. Android has a locate facility, but even this could not find the phone. I strongly suspect that a lorry ran over the phone.

As I have remarked to a few people this morning, I'm not married to the phone, so I don't feel much sense of loss; also it's quiet this morning as no one can phone me (I still have the landline, of course). All the photos (not that many) and contacts are backed up via Google so nothing except the hardware has been lost.

I immediately notified the person who is responsible for mobile phones at work, as well as sending a general message to everyone. He has just phoned me to say that he is arranging a new phone - with the old number, of course - and I should have it tomorrow. There's no rush.



A few weeks ago I installed a program on my work mobile computer which allows me to access the Yealink video conferencing machines that we have in Tel Aviv and Karmiel. Normally, there are calls between these two sites, which obligated me to travel to one or the other (normally to Tel Aviv) when such a call is arranged. But now I have the ability to connect from my mobile and so I don't have to travel.

This is very strange! My mobile computer is currently connected to Karmiel: I can see and hear people in the meeting room there; I can also see what is being displayed on a computer connected to the projector. I can even see myself in a small window. They say that they can hear me but not see me - apparently this requires the projector in Tel Aviv to be turned on as well, even though no one is connected there.

No comments: