Saturday, September 08, 2018

Ikigai - a reason for being

I saw the graphic which appears below in a financial blog which I receive, and I wondered where I stand with respect to this in terms of my occupations as ERP developer +, musician and cook.


I enjoy cooking and I think that I'm good at it, but I don't have much passion for it and it certainly is not my profession. The world does not need another cook! So that dimension to my life doesn't get very far. 

The same, unfortunately, can be said about my music: I love it, I think that I'm good at it and I have a passion for it. But the world does not need another musician and I'm certainly not being paid for it!

As a Priority developer/implementer/educator: I certainly enjoy my work (or at least, most aspects of it), I'm good at it, it's my profession, I get paid for it and the world definitely needs more Priority developers. I modestly think that I have achieved Ikigai for this activity. Is it a reason to get up in the morning (which is how Ikagai is considered in Okinawa, Japan)? It would be if I my job consisted of development and teaching; I don't enjoy some of the managerial aspects and I certainly don't appreciate the constant travelling of the past few months.

It's worthwhile following the link for Ikigai above as the web page to which it leads is very illuminating.

No comments: